Remember when “Tropes vs Women in Games” was a kickstarter? Remember when people were abusing the fuck out of Anita simply because she dared question the gender bias of video games? Remember when at the end of it all, she got $160,000?
Well now we have an episode, and you guessed it – everybody has an opinion about it.
Most of it skews into the realm of “She’s Right, But Because She Has Six Figures To Her Name, I Need To Be A Whiny Asshole On The Internet”.
So let’s answer some questions, and be Anita’s personal devil’s advocate. (But considering I am a male, she would be disgusted, Sorry Anita.)
“WHY WAS THIS SERIES WORTH $160,000? THIS SERIES ISN’T WORTH $160,000! I CAN MAKE THIS SERIES FOR $0! IS THAT GREEN SCREEN $160,000? IS THAT SHIRT SHE’S WEARING $160,000! THESE ARE WHAT I CONSIDER JOKES BECAUSE I WATCHED A YOUTUBE SERIES CALLED RETSUPURAE AND WANT TO BE A DICK LIKE THOSE GUYS! IS RETSUPURAE WORTH $160,000?”
No, it’s not worth $160,000. Unless she decided to hire out some graphics department (which is pretty pricey when going to a house), picking up a new camera, picking up a new computer, hiring out an editor, maybe picking up the consoles and the copies of the games to explain (or hiring someone to pick up the games and play them for you) or helping you find the media to illustrate your point.
Her original goal on the Kickstarter was $6,000. If she wanted to make it extra fancy, the production side of things might end up around averaging $12,000 maybe $24,000 when it’s done. (If you’re thinking “OH BUT I HAVE A CAMERA AND IMOVIE AND AN ATTITUDE I CAN DO THIS FOR FREE” – How much does that camera and mac computer cost? how much does it cost for electricity? How much does it cost to NOT make it look terrible visually?)
When you think about it – most of the $160,000 went towards Anita herself – she could live off that money (pay the rent, eat, splurge a bit on expensive stuff) simply because she was making Tropes vs Women (and in turn – Feminist Frequency videos) full time.
So when you see photos like this, the first thought is “THAT’S WHERE MY MONEY IS GOING! I HATE HER BLAGH!” and you would assume to be right, but who cares? Jealous People.
Assuming you have $160,000 to spend on a webseries that focuses on sexism found in media (in this case, video games) you could spend a good chunk filming all the episodes, writing all the scripts out, getting all the clearances and have some money leftover…
What will you do with the extra income?
Put it towards the show? How so? We kinda are done with all the episodes….
Leave it in a bank account so the interest goes up?
Spend it on shares in the stock market?
Mostly the people who complain about the value of production doesn’t see anything past the 22 minutes of this episode. They don’t see later episodes or Anita as a person herself. They don’t see themselves ever being “that person”, even though they are the kinds of people who complain about “not finding a job” and then using the welfare system to buy video games…Should she have “given back the access income”? – to whom?
Kickstarter crowdsourcing means everybody put it in a pool? Should she throw a raffle for the money? Maybe she should donate it to a charity? Or maybe she should just use it to better her life after people decided to be a dick on the internet.Before we even got that episode, we showed that it isn’t just “video games” that have an effect of women, it’s the male users of video games that are abusive that are sexist too.
“Oh but we’re just trolling… we aren’t actually sexist” – Can you prove it?
Not really, Internet Jerkface. And then you’re the same whiny bastard going “OH WHY WAS THE COMMENTS DISABLED? WHY DID YOU DISABLE THE COMMENTS ANITA? ARE YOU AFRAID OF HAVING AN OPINION DIFFERENT THAN YOURS?”And while the answer to that is a resounding “yes” (despite being a graduate from my college in communications – she lacks the ability to “debate” the issue), but I could easily understand why she did it.
If she turned on the comments section for “Tropes vs Women in Games”, here’s what I expect various comments to be…
- 492 people are real gamers
- anita u a dum b1tch
- Anita, I agree with some of your message in the video. But stories involving rescuing the princess have been done even before video games. Children’s adventure stories usually have princesses, even modern day cartoons like “Adventure Time” have princesses. But I don’t think women are demoralized. Especially when you consider modern games now have the ability to play as either a Male or Female and movies like “Brave” exist that are empowering
- Hey anita, you a slut. slut slut bitch bitch slutty titty twister
- Please check out my YouTube channel, we just uploaded a harlem shake video tell your friends.
- I HATE MEN
- I HATE WOMEN
- I HATE YOU
- I HATE YOU MORE
- anita you are wrong about video games, i don’t think you play video games, play real video games like sonic the hedgehog
- Zelda’s Adventure for the 3DO anybody?
- Like if “Game Grumps” brought you here.
- Like if “Giant Bomb” brought you here.
- Like if “Joystiq” brought you here.
- Like if “Jeff and Geoff’s Video Game Podcast 2000” brought you here.
- this video sucks
- great video anita
- i loved this video anita
- where did you spend the money on?
- why do you look like a cocktail waitress?
- DID YOU SPEND THE MONEY ON THE GREEN SCREEN?
- lol did you spend the money on the green screen?
- did the money go towards the screen screen?
- this was a waste of 22 minutes of my life
- shut up u fag
- Anita, you sounded very awkward in this video. It was an amazing point and I never perceived video games to be that way. I would have liked it better if you rehearsed it multiple times before talking as it sounded almost robotic.
- Why do people dislike her?
- shut up bitch
- Does this mean you dislike Disney movies? I loved Sleeping Beauty and Snow White and Cinderella and they taught me lessons about love and growing up. I think messages differ from person to person and sometimes fall outside of what the creator intended.
- like if you think anita is a bitch slut
- I made my Shepard in Mass Effect as a woman because I feel there isn’t that many female main characters in games, I’m glad you thought the same way.
- BITCH BITCH BITCH BITCHBITCH BITCHBITCH BITCHBITCH BITCH
- is the green screen worth $160,000?
and much more….
There was somebody who even made a similar video almost half a year ago (and that’s where I got the base level for the comments)
So here’s my opinion about Tropes vs Women in Games….
Anita has a strong point about the perception of women in video games that is well articulated. It’s a strong point to the stance of it being a bit “extreme”. However, she hasn’t really researched her topic through enough. Every point she makes in this video could be counter-pointed with something else (Something a die-hard HATE ANITA person would do as a cut-away commentary). She is merely a 2nd Wave Feminist preaching to the 3rd Wave… who don’t really care either way – they just want to play some fucking video games and be left alone. They being both men, and women equally.
There is also a better argument over on DoctorNerdLove about this issue (that I enjoyed)
and now if you excuse me, I have a new webseries I’m pitching called “Tropes vs Radishes in Salad”